Excel Academy Charter School
East Boston, Massachusetts
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a growing network of high-performing, no-excuses charter schools in Boston dedicated to closing the achievement gap. Our flagship school in East Boston, founded in 2003, primarily serves low-income Latino students and has been the highest-performing public middle school in Massachusetts on MCAS tests over the last five years. Excel is developing ambitious growth plans. The second school in the network opened this past fall in Chelsea and the third school launched this fall in East Boston. While the first three schools in the network will be middle schools, Excel plans to open a high school in 2015.
Duties & Responsibilities
Excel teachers are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous college-preparatory instruction designed to foster the success of their students. Teachers who thrive at Excel tend to be entrepreneurial instructors and hungry learners who crave frequent high-quality feedback on their practice. This position is a unique opportunity to instill students with a love of sports and physical activity while impacting student learning on a school-wide level. Excel Academy believes that physical education and extracurricular programs have unique potential to drive student culture, and therefore, student learning. We seek a teacher with the highest expectations for student performance and student character, both in academics and athletics.
This position provides both broad and deep exposure in a high-performing urban school. The position will perform a variety of essential responsibilities, including (but not limited to):
• Teach courses with high stakes for student culture (physical education);
• Manage culture-driving programs within the school, including Excel’s enrichment program;
• Drive student motivation and success via positive incentives and opportunities;
• Design and implement extracurricular opportunities targeted toward groups of at-risk students;
• Manage school athletics and athletic equipment;
• Provide coverage during instructional and non-instructional time;
• Serve as an advisor to a subset of students;
• Co-lead a homeroom;
• Serve as a productive member of the Excel Academy community; and
• Do whatever it takes to ensure the mission of the school is upheld.
Position Type: Full-time
Positions Available: 1
Equal Opportunity Employer
Excel Academy Charter School is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.
• A Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred;
• A minimum of two years of classroom or physical education teaching experience;
• A minimum of two years of experience coaching team sports;
• An interest in sports psychology or sports science and physiology;
• An interest in character education;
• The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required;
• Measurable evidence of driving student achievement gains;
• A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
• An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
• The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
• The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
• An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
At least 2 years of relevant experience preferred
Bachelor degree preferred
Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
1150 Saratoga Street
East Boston, Massachusetts 02128