July 22, 2024

Select your Top Menu from wp menus

Suspect in Mattapan shooting waives extradition from NH

Suspect in Mattapan shooting waives extradition from NH

By Laura Crimaldi and Laurel J. Sweet | Monday, October 4, 2010 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Local Coverage

Photo by AP

Boston police found a loaded 9mm Ruger and .40-caliber Iberia, ammunition, and an empty 10-round magazine in a backpack at Kimani Washington’s house last Wednesday, a day after the Mattapan massacre that left a mother, toddler and two men dead and another man critically injured, new court records show.
Four bags of marijuana and a scale were also found at 45 Fowler St. in Dorchester, according to court records on file at Dorchester District Court. One handgun had an obliterated serial number and six bullets inside while the other held seven rounds, papers show.
Washington, 35, who was arrested on a fugitive from justice charge Friday in Manchester, N.H. in relation to the guns and drugs, has agreed to return to Massachusetts. The Dorchester man waived extradition to the Bay State this morning, clearing the way for Boston police to take custody of him.
Dressed in an orange, prison-issued clothing and bowing his head, Washington appeared before Judge Norman E. Champagne in Manchester District Court.
Boston police have until 11 p.m. next Tuesday to take custody of him.
Manchester Police Lt. Robert Cunha said the court gave police a full week to pick up Washington so that appropriate security can be coordinated for his return. Cunha also said Washington’s lawyer will be out of state.
Washington has not been charged with murder.
Boston police have said they interviewed Washington within hours of the quadruple homicide early Tuesday morning on Woolson Street that left Eyanna Flonory, 21, her 2-year-old son Amani Smith, her boyfriend, Simba Martin, 21, and Levaughn Washum-Garrison, 22, dead.
Marcus Hurd, 32, is still in critical condition after the shooting.
Police said they talked to Washington after he was seen with Hurd’s SUV. Authorities later searched Washington’s home, police said, and found the handguns, drugs and ammunition. Those weapons have yet to be linked to the slayings. But it gave police enough to get a warrant for Washington – who, by then, had fled the state.
Family of the dead were in court this morning to see Washington.
“We want justice,” said Theresa Payne, one of Flonory’s aunts, after the hearing was finished. “We are all hurting. Justice is get the people who did this.”
Erik Jones, an uncle of Flonory’s, said, “It’s good that they caught somebody.”
Before the hearing, John Newman, Washington’s lawyer, said his client objects to his name and face being associated with the Mattapan massacre. He pointed out that Washington is only facing charges for weapons and has not been charged with murder.
According to records on file at Dorchester District Court, Washington was free on $225 bail for a domestic assault and battery case when the Mattapan rampage occurred. He was scheduled to go on trial Nov. 29 for slapping his longtime girlfriend across the face.
His court file is several pages long, including arrests for firearms, drugs and abusing women. Records show he has been in and out of prison.
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1286414

About The Author

The Blackstonian Community News Service - Black Boston 411 24/7. @Blackstonian on twitter. Like our page on Facebook.

Related posts