July 13, 2024

Select your Top Menu from wp menus

Man charged in 4 Mattapan killings held without bail

Man charged in 4 Mattapan killings held without bail
By Laurel J. Sweet and Laura Crimaldi  |   Tuesday, November 23, 2010  |  http://www.bostonherald.com  |  Local Coverage

Dwayne Moore, center, stands behind a courtroom door to a hallway during his arraignment today on murder and other charges in the Sept. 28 killings of four people in Mattapan.
Photo by Mark Garfinkel

The Mattapan man accused of gunning down four people Sept. 28, including a toddler, in a bloody massacre marched the victims onto Woolson Street where they met their deaths after a drug-fueled robbery at one of the victim’s homes, prosecutors said today.

Dwayne Moore, 33, who has a lengthy arrest record, did not show his face during his arraignment at Dorchester District Court, where grieving family members gathered wearing T-shirts and pins honoring their loved ones.

Court records show he was linked to the massacre by an unnamed witness who testified before a Suffolk grand jury. After being arrested at his home yesterday, Moore told investigators he does not want to go back to prison.

“I can’t do this. I can’t go back to jail. You’re going to have to kill me,” Moore told officers during an interview at Boston police headquarters, court records show.

Moore faces four counts of murder and one count of armed assault with intent to murder for allegedly shooting Eyanna Louise Flonory, 21, her 2-year-old son Amanihoteph Smith, Flonory’s boyfriend Simba Martin, 21, and Levaughn Washum-Garrison, 22. A fifth victim, Marcus Hurd, 32, remains hospitalized in “very critical condition,” said Suffolk Assistant District Attorney Edmond Zabin.

Defense attorney John Amabile entered not guilty pleas on Moore’s behalf. A second man, Kimani Washington, 34, was arrested last month after he admitted to police that two firearms seized from his mother’s apartment a day after the killings belonged to him, police said.

Zabin said Moore moved into Martin’s apartment at 23 Sutton St. after he was released from prison over the summer after serving time for the stabbing death of a Milton teen in 1995.

Moore and Washington went to Martin’s home on Sept. 28 and attempted to lure him out of the house “for the purpose of the robbing him,” Zabin said.

Shortly thereafter, Hurd also pulled up to the home. Before losing consciousness, Hurd told rescuers in an ambulance that he went to Martin’s home to buy drugs, Zabin said.

Moore “knew the apartment intimately and that drugs and cash could be found there,” Zabin said.

When Martin met Hurd outside, Zabin said, they were set upon by the assailants at gunpoint.

Hurd and Martin were forced back into the home, where they were forced to strip, Zabin said. Moore then went through the house rounding up cash, drugs and a TV set, Zabin said.

Garrison, Flonory, her son, Martin and Hurd were then marched onto Woolson Street, where they were shot, Zabin said.

Moore’s cell phone records show he called Martin just before the shooting, Zabin said. After the shooting, Moore called Washington “to divide the proceeds from the robbery,” Zabin added.

Amabile said he didn’t know anything about the case.

“My client didn’t have any involvement,” he said. “I certainly object to things like my client’s record being put out there for no apparent reason.”

A probable cause hearing has been scheduled for Dec. 22.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1298378

About The Author

The Blackstonian Community News Service - Black Boston 411 24/7. @Blackstonian on twitter. Like our page on Facebook.

Related posts